Thursday, March 31, 2005

Terri Schiavo

I can think of very few things that have affected me as much as this case has. I brought it up in discussions with my friends and with my family around the dinner table. I lay awake at night thinking about it. I devoured news shows that I normally don’t watch just to try and learn more about this case. I did some serious research on the Internet to try and discern fact from fiction. I've participated in online discussions. I've blogged about this topic before. It occupied a major portion of my life for the past several weeks.

The passion and intensity of the Schindlers tore at my heart. The stoicism and determination of Michael Schiavo in the face of death threats and bribes was most admirable. It brought into play some very fundamental questions. But at the end of the day, the principle of self-ownership is what held sway for me.

I believe that as adults, we own ourselves. This means that we should be able to decide what kind of work we want to do (if we’re good enough to handle it) and where we want to live. If we own ourselves, we should be able to decide what food we eat, what exercise we do (or don’t), what we can drink or smoke, and what recreational drugs we can take (or not). It should mean that we can decide how we want to live and it should mean that we are able to decide how we would NOT want to live.

It’s my opinion that Terri Schiavo has finally been released from her 15 year bondage. If you believe in God and Heaven, you should believe that she has gone to a better place. I certainly hope she has and that the Schindlers and Michael Schiavo and his new family can finally move on with their lives.

Rest in Peace Terri.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com