Tuesday, September 06, 2005

News from Afghanistan – Part 5

I received another email yesterday from Reiko.
Hi Uncle Ted!

I got a bunch of boxes from you and Auntie Lynn waiting for me this week! Thank you so much! I actually had a chance to visit two all-girl schools in Wardak. I donated many of the notebooks and pens you and Auntie Lynn sent me. The headmasters were so grateful! I couldn't think of a better place than a Pashtu school for girls to leave your donations with. The Governor of Wardak is a very progressive man. I think he is one of the few people who might be able to actually lead Afghanistan into the 21st century.

The stuffed animals make the kids so happy! I actually saw this little girl twirling with one of the stuffed animals you sent she was so happy. I can hardly imagine a child never owning a single toy. I have teenage boys and girls begging me for a beanie baby. Some kids don't even know what to do with a toy because they've never seen one! They are so desperate for anything here it breaks your heart and aggravates you at the same time.

I have been dubbed the "SweetTart Queen!" I have several people that come up to me asking for my treasured candies. Only a few are fortunate enough to share in the goodies! I think SweetTarts could become the national currency of Afghanistan!

Thanks again for everything! I just wanted to let you know all of your items are going to good use. I have some pictures I can send soon. I let one of the guys borrow my thumb drive to put pictures on it and he left for the field, so when he gets back I can send some more photos to everyone!

Love,
Reiko
Reiko’s favorite candy is SweeTarts, so we send a roll or two in every box.

This is so much better than just “writing a check”. As soon as the pictures arrive, I’ll post them.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com