Thursday, December 15, 2005

The United States is “stuck on stupid”…

Today, the United States told the organizers of the world’s first World Baseball Classic that, due to our continuing embargo against Cuba, a team from that country is not welcome to participate in the tournament. Details are here.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Our “Official Policy” towards Cuba sucks. There’s no reason why we should not have normal relations with this country. During the Cold War, there was some logic to our cold shoulder towards Castro’s Cuba, but that went out the window when the Warsaw Pact crumbled. Now the policy is just stupid. Cuban exiles, unhappy with Castro’s regime, allied with revanchist Neanderthals in our government, drive this policy. And all of us suffer because of it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

If I want to visit Cuba, I have to go through a third country. It reminds me of a similar situation in the Middle East. When I lived in Saudi Arabia, I was unable to visit Israel unless I first left Saudi Arabia for another country (such as Jordan) and then traveled to Israel from there. Also, I would have to careful not to have an Israeli Visa stamped in my passport or I could come to grief when returning to Saudi Arabia.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Hey guys, the Cold War is over. We won. Cuba is no longer a threat to us. I’m no fan of Castro, but what are we accomplishing by continuing our embargo? It hasn’t helped America in any way. It hasn’t helped Cuban citizens either.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Castro should offer to host the tournament in Cuba – then the shoe would be on the other foot as the United States would not allow players from this country to participate.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com