Saturday, March 18, 2006

’06 World Baseball Classic – Semifinal predictions


Both of these games are tough to predict, but I have to go with the Dominican Republic and Korea.

The Dominicans have beaten the Cubans once and I think they have the deepest team in the tournament. But I don’t feel comfortable with this pick at all. The Cubans are playing inspired baseball – they clearly really want to win it all. I won’t be at all surprised if they win this game, but I’m sticking with the Dominicans.

On the other side, and as I had written in an earlier post, I’m through disrespecting the Koreans. This team is for real, they are undefeated in this tournament for a reason, and that is why I’m picking them to beat Japan. It is really tough to beat a good team, like the Japanese, three times in a row. But I think the Koreans will do it.

You know, if the Cubans and the Koreans win, the finals will be played with very few Major Leaguers; none on the Cuban side and only a few on the Korean side. One has to think about what that means for Major League baseball, and especially calling its ultimate event “The World Series.” More on this later.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com