Sunday, March 19, 2006

’06 World Baseball Classic – Semifinal Summary – Final prediction


Of course I meant that Cuba and Japan would win. It was my evil twin that picked the Dominicans and Koreans. Wouldn’t you know it? Just when I jump on the Korean bandwagon, the wheels fall off.

Two really fine games. The Dominican-Cuban game was decided on a couple of breaks and errors while the Japan-Korean game was decided on the percentages; it really is hard to beat a good team three times in a row.

So we have a Cuban and Team Japan final; teams from two island nations on opposite sides of the globe. These are also the two teams in the final eight that have the least amount of Major Leaguers on their roster; the Japanese have only two (Ichiro and Otsuke) while the Cubans have none. Who do I predict to win? I tried flipping a coin to help me decide, but it landed on its edge, so that was no help. The Japanese have saved their two best pitchers for the final while the Cubans used theirs in beating the Dominicans. But I don’t think that’s going to matter. I’m picking the Cubans to win it all. Why? Part of the reason is that I think they had a harder schedule to get here and they compiled a better record while doing so. I also think their experience in International play is going to be the deciding factor.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com